Credit: Flickr / Toyota Motor Europe / CC BY-ND 2.0
Malaga is a breathtaking holiday destination where you can unwind and rejuvenate in the idyllic coastal environs. Driving in and around Malaga is straightforward, and you may want to rent a car in the city to explore Malaga and nearby sites at your own pace.
The city has an extensive network of rental car companies and you can hire a car from Hertz, Sixt, Avis, or Europcar. Here are some basic tips for a stress-free driving experience in Malaga.
Car Rental Tips
The legal age for driving a car in Malaga is 18 years, but the rental car companies may have their own minimum driving age.
Read the following tips before you hire a car in Malaga.
- Always check the car’s condition
- Check the air conditioning, as the summer months (June, July, and August) may experience high temperatures and you will prefer the air-conditioning.
- Check the terms and conditions for fuel.
- Remember to carry the originals of your driving license.
- Check if the car is equipped with reflective jackets, orange reflective triangles, first-aid kit, GPS, spare wheel, and spare light bulbs.
- Also, check for the apt restraint system depending on the age and size for your children.
Speed Limits to Follow
- Motorways (Autopista or Autovia): 120kph (75mph.)
- Freeways: 100kph (62mph.)
- Urban Roads: 50kph (31mph.)
- Drive on the right-hand side of the road.
- Don't drink and drive as it is a punishable offence.
- Use of car seat belts is mandatory.
- Do not use a cell phone while driving.
- Use of headphones connected to sound devices like iPods should be avoided.
- Headlights must be used in tunnels.
- Avoid parking where the sidewalk border is painted red or yellow.
- The use of horn between 23:00 and 6:00 should be avoided.
Follow these basic driving rules, carefully check the car before hiring it and explore Malaga at your own pace.